One of those days I want to bang my head when making veggies is when I have broccoli and zucchini in my recipe. Though vegetables are delightful and nutritious, their recipes limit you to steaming and blanching. And my kids loathe this menu. I must think further and yield something better, perhaps roasted Broccoli and Zuchini. If you are in my shoes, you understand!
Whenever I try roasted Broccoli and Zucchini, the happy faces on my dining table tell it all. The combo is a vibrant and nutritious dish! No more yawns and teary eyes as the combination delivers tender broccoli florets and crispy zucchini sweetness.
Indulge in perfectly roasted broccoli and zucchini. The roast is a side dish and a delightful, healthy, and delicious meal for all occasions. Try the veggies and leave your family craving more.
Roasted Broccoli And Zucchini Ingredients
For this meal, you will only need six ingredients;
- Two heads of Broccoli
- 10 oz Zucchini (about two medium)
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves fresh)
You can add more herbs and spices to your liking.
Tools For Roasted Broccoli And Zucchini
- Baking sheet
Prep Method For Roasted Broccoli and Zucchini
There are 9 steps to preparing roasted broccoli and zucchini;
- Clean your broccoli and detach the florets.
- Clean and chop the zucchini into discs.
- Slice the garlic cloves into discs.
- Mix them in a bowl and drizzle olive oil.
- Season the veggies with salt, garlic, and pepper. You can add other herbs, such as coriander and parsley.
- Line your baking tray with a sheet and spread the mix of veggies.
- Bake them until they are soft.
- Toss the veggies midway (10-15 minutes into the cooking). The edges should be brown after about 25 minutes in the oven.
- Serve your roasted zucchini and broccoli with other dishes, including brown Jasmine rice.
Nutritional Value For Roasted Broccoli And Zucchini
The above meal has the following nutritional value;
- Carbs: 6 g
- Calories: 63 kcal
- Protein: 2g
- Fat: 4g – (saturated 1g, polyunsaturated 1g, monounsaturated 3g)
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Minerals: sodium 28 mg, potassium 401 mg, iron 1 mg, calcium 38 mg
- Sugar: 3g
- Vitamins: A 479 IU, vitamin C 58 mg
- Cholesterol: 0
Note that the above values are a combination of the two veggies, Zucchini and Broccoli. They may not match the nutritional values of the vegetables in their raw form.
And just before I leave for another recipe research, here are buying tricks for fresh and high-quality broccoli and zucchini;
- Size: Buy small to medium zucchini as they are tender with fewer seeds. The large ones are tough and lack some nutrients.
- Color: Zucchini is dark green. The color is vibrant, so yellow indicates old or spoiled veggies.
- Firmness: Zucchini should pass the firmness check. It is overripe or going bad if it is soft or too hard.
- Texture: Zucchini skin is smooth. Wrinkled skin means bad quality.
- Weight: A good quality zucchini is heavy as it has higher water content.
- Clean: Zucchini should be clean without mud, white spots, and molds.
- Odor: Fresh zucchini has no odor. It should smell fresh with no strong smell
- Color: Fresh broccoli has green florets and green stalks. The color is vibrant, with no yellow or pale patches. Also, the leaves should be green and vibrant.
- Firmness: Broccoli florets and stalks should be firm and tightly packed. If it is soft and rubbery, avoid it as it is not fresh.
- Floret Size: Quality broccoli has small to medium size compact florets. Larger florets signify over-maturity.
- Stalks: Broccoli stalk is firm and crisp. It should not be woody, thick, or hollow stalks.
- Leaves: Do the leaves attach to the stalks? If not, the broccoli is old. They should be green and not withered.
- Odor: When you sniff your broccoli, it should smell fresh and sweet. Broccoli with an unpleasant odor is a sign of too many chemicals or spoilage.
With the above recipe, you have an exciting and tasty side dish for your meal. Roasted broccoli and zucchini are highly nutritious and a great meal for vegans. With the buying tips, you know how to examine fresh veggies. Go for the freshest deal!